Sunday, December 16, 2012

The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child. ~Joe Houldsworth

I have been stealing a lot of kisses from Taelin in the last couple of days.  Kisses, hugs, cuddling reading books, more kisses...I even pulled her out of her bed Friday night when I went to bed because I just needed to have her near me.

I can't tear myself away from the news.  I wish I could just unplug from it all.  I keep telling myself that I need to but when I was watching President Obama's speech tonight at the candlelight vigil it clicked for me why I won't.  I won't unplug because there are 26 families out there that can't.  And it just doesn't seem fair, that word seems like a silly word to use, but it just doesn't seem fair that I can unplug from it all when they can't.  So, I keep checking for updates, looking at sweet faces with missing teeth, reading the stories of the teachers and crying.

I do have to say that I haven't done any crying in front of Taelin. She is clueless about what is going on and I can only hope that there isn't any conversation about it at preschool on Tuesday.  I won't be super surprised if it does come up.  It is everywhere.  The kids in her class have older, school aged children. She spends part of her day with older kids.  I won't be surprised.  But I will be heartbroken.

There are many discussions going on right now that I am really just trying to ignore.  I am trying to learn the stories because somehow it seems that is the right thing to do.  It brings tears most of the time.

I have always been grateful for my daughter.  But the recent tragedy makes me realize that I need to not just be telling myself that or writing blog posts about it.  I need to be telling her...every single day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment