Sunday, September 29, 2013

Be selective in your battles, sometimes peace is better than being right.

I couldn't find the person that said these wise words, but it is where I am right now.  I woke up Friday night/Saturday morning in what I think can only be described as a panic attack.  I was on day 4 of the same headache and had taken a new over the counter medication that got rid of my headache but had so much caffeine in it that I felt like I was literally spinning...only I wasn't.  And honestly, it scared the crap out of me.

Saturday I spent the day scrapbooking with dear friends.  I vented, listened, laughed with my friends and the first time all week I felt a little more myself.  I had a great time spending time doing something I love with people I love.  I was scrapping pictures from earlier this year (March and April) and realized something while I was doing the journaling.  I have a really great life.  Like really great life.  And I was letting crap from work spill over into every part of my brain and had been for awhile.  Even when I haven't been at work all my conversations with friends when they ask me how I have been doing have been about how hard work has been since going back.

Thankfully, it isn't all hard though.  I have some great teachers this year and I feel so lucky to work with them.  They energize me so much as I work alongside them.  It is all the other stuff that is hard.  Stuff that I am just not going to go over again because I just need to work on letting it go.

While, there is one thing that was definitely the tipping point this week if I am being honest the other night has been building up for awhile.  I feel like I am constantly not getting enough done.  Like constantly.  And today, I am claiming myself back.

I haven't had enough of the following things in the last few months and I am vowing today that I am getting it back...

*Enough Sleep  It is ridiculous to think that I can do all I am trying to do on less than 6 hours of sleep.

*Healthy Fuel I need to follow the same nutritional standard for myself that I have for Taelin.

*Exercise  I have been to the gym a total of 3 times since mid-August.  3 times.  I can do better and will be going later today once Joe is up.

*Decontamination  I am not talking about my frig (although that could probably use some attention) but I am talking about putting my work bag in the closet when I get home and leaving it there until I need to work. Saying I am not going to bring work home just isn't a reality this year but not walking by it constantly reminding me that I have work that needs to get done can be something I can do. Thank you Michael Grinder. (Hold on a minute while I go and do that.)

*Peaceful Home I need to get back into the routine of having a clean house.  I need to start using the system that has worked in the past so that when I am home I know what I need to do instead of mentally feeling like I am never done.  In order for this to happen, I am going to have to ask for help from Joe and Taelin.  Help that I think they will happily give to get their wife and mother back.  Walking through a clean space vs a messy one will make a HUGE difference.

*Writing  I have said it before and it is so true.  I need to be writing more.  In order to write more I need to make time for it.  I makes such a difference in my overall centeredness.  And while, I think I will keep sharing my photo posts out to Facebook, I think I am going to keep posts like this one, here. When I put it out there for everyone (I know that seems weird to say since I am putting it on the freakin' internet.) it feels less therapeutic for me. I feel like I can be less "me".

*Letting Go Out of all of these, there is not one that is going to be harder for me than this one.  I can only control what is within my control and other people's action are not.  I am so lucky in so many ways I need to bloody remember that.  I think while my "one little word" this year is supposed to be 'grace' I am bring back last year's word, 'peace'.







2 comments:

  1. As you know- I love reading your blog. I find your point of view refreshing and the truth you write speaks to me. This post came at a perfect moment for me tonight. I- too- have been struggling with maintaining work without letting my personal life/self suffer. It's been a losing battle for my family and my health too. You're an incredible mentor and I know we (as much as we try not to) demand so much of you as our mentor. Thank you for always listening with a patience, smiling when we need you to, and for honestly- just caring. I am beyond excited to be working alongside you again this year and hope that maybe- just maybe- I can help encourage you too along the way. :) You're amazing, Jodie. When I come home after a 14 hr day in my classroom- my favorite quote rings through my head (lovingly to me by my husband) "We do not live to work. We work to live." There's so much truth in that. Hope it helps. Thanks for sharing yourself and your life with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Jodie and so true. I think Grace and Peace are intrinsically linked, when we feel peace it is easier to extend grace to others and to receive it. Love you

    ReplyDelete