Friday, June 6, 2014

Homemade Light Table...version 1.0

It has been a long while since I have blogged...almost a month.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that as summer comes along that my blogging time will increase.  I decided tonight that I just needed to blog something even if it doesn't have anything to do with anything.  So, here I am.  

One of the things I have always wanted to make Taelin was a light table.  If you were to buy a legit one like you would see in a good preschool/kindergarten room, you could easily start at plunking down $250.  I am not planning on plunking down that much for something like this, but after a trip we took to the Portland Children's museum a couple of weeks ago, I was reminded that it would be very cool to make something that is light table-like. 

The idea is a simple one really.  Having light shining up to change up the sensory experience in playing and learning with things are are even the least bit transulent.  One of Taelin's friends had these cool magnet tiles that are transparent and while being cool all on their own, are perfect for a light table.  Taelin had played with them at the Children's Museum a few weeks ago and I bought a set for her then. The light table though...I couldn't get my hands on one that easily...so, I made one.

I went and bought a plastic tub and flipped it upside down so that the bottom was now the table top. I grabbed an LED strip that Joe had bought for a home project that switched gears and was just now lying around.  I cut a little hole in the side of tub to slide the LED strip in, turned it on and viola!  For less than $25, we have a light table.  

'

The other day, she played for quite a while building with these tiles.  I think the thing I might add is a layer of parchment paper on the inside of the tub to diffuse the light a little bit. 


These tiles were definitely a splurge when I bought them and I am so glad that I did.  But...for other light table activities, I will be looking around the house for other things we could use.  One quick search on Pinterest resulted in a ton of great ideas that I will have to keep in the back of my head for an upcoming summer day when Taelin just needs a few minutes of down time.

No comments:

Post a Comment