Sunday, May 8, 2011

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Happy Mother's Day!  It is a strange holiday...a day set aside to show appreciation to the mother's in our life.  I posted on Facebook earlier about how lucky I really feel to be celebrating my third Mother's Day as a mom to Taelin.  It was a long road to becoming a mother; one filled with sadness and struggle but also one with a great destination.  I am grateful for Taelin every single day.

As I was checking Facebook today, I couldn't help but notice what others (in particular, other women) were saying about their own mothers.  I was interested in my initial reaction which was that I couldn't even imagine saying some of the things that people were saying about their moms, about my mom.  I just don't have that kind of relationship.  I used to be angry and sadden by that (usually not at the same time) but I have begun to come to terms that it just is what it is.  And as helpless as that phrase "it is what it is" sounds, it really has helped me to have realistic expectations.  Hallmark doesn't write cards for people like me to send to my mom....and that is okay.

I know I will make mistakes as a mother, I already have.  I doubt there is a mother out there that doesn't have a top ten list of things they wish they could have done differently.  But as I think about what I want for myself on this day, t is one of my greatest hopes, that someday, Taelin would say even half of the wonderful things that people were saying about their moms.  I hope I give her good reason to say them.

No comments:

Post a Comment