Friday, May 13, 2011

When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris

This is going to disappoint my sister greatly, as she is the one that gave this book to Joe for Christmas, but thank goodness that book is over. I know that Sedaris has had a lot of wildly success books, but this is the first and last book of his that I will be reading. Sorry Lorie...

This book is a series of autobiographical essays, which is a genre that I have found I enjoy given the right author. There are some writers that are so clever that they can begin writing an essay telling one story, move into another story and then artfully tie the two together like they were always meant to be one. Sedaris' essays lacked organization within a single essay and there was not much that connected the book other than him sounding like a shallow, spoiled brat with OCD. Sorry Lorie...

As if it weren't enough to already not like this book, the last essay was 80 pages of him going on about smoking. How he started smoking, things that happened to him because he smoked, when he decided to stop smoking, and how he decided to stop smoking. Annoying, annoying, annoying... Sorry Lorie...

One of the things that I love about writer's that write essays is that often they write about something that you can connect to; you can see a part of yourself in their writing. There was not one moment that I was reading this book where that occurred. Sorry Lorie...

I have apologized plenty to my sister for ripping apart this book that she picked out because it is polite thing to do. Lorie, I expect your apology for sending this book into my house any day. ;)

3 comments:

  1. OH that was an apology....huh I thought I was sensing sarcasm....strange usually I am good at determining sincerity vs sarcasm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Jodie!!! It seemed like a good idea at the time..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's okay Lorie. Lots of people obviously like him. I am just not one of them... :)

    ReplyDelete