Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Dinner by Herman Koch

About a month ago I got an email from a good friend of mine asking if I would be interested in joining her book group.  I have always wanted to join a book group (I don't know why I didn't just start one on my own) and was super excited to find out they meet on a day and time that would work for me every six weeks.  They just picked their books out for the next year and all but one of the books is new!  (I am not counting The Great Gatsby which I read in high school.)

Anyway, the book that we are going to be meeting on in April is The Dinner by Herman Koch.

Let me say a couple of things about this book.  First of all, it started out slow.  I had to go back and read the description to remind myself why I was excited to read this book.  Second, it seriously made me sick to my stomach a couple of times.  Third, it reminded me of We Need To Talk About Kevin which is saying something if you have read that book.

The book takes place during one evening, although there is quite a bit of flashback to fill in the story, when two brothers and their wives meet for dinner to talk about an event regarding their sons.  This book has so many topics of conversation, I honestly am not sure that we will even be able to get to half of them when we meet.

Sibling relationships, husband/wife relationships, parent/child relationships and what we would do (or wouldn't do) to preserve and protect them are ideas that are still rattling around in my brain a week later.  My book group meets in a week, over dinner, and I can't wait to find out what other people thought of this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment