Thursday, November 6, 2014

Potato Soup

I am a huge fan of potato soup. Like a major fan. But I am picky about my potato soup.  Like major picky.  The "problem" with potato soup is that it isn't exactly healthy.  Most of the recipes have like 4 cups of whole milk or some other insane thing.  But the other day I was browsing on Pinterest and I clicked on yet another recipe of potato soup that I could scoff at for one reason or another when I found this.  I decided that it was time to try my hand at what is arguable my favorite soup.  I changed it a bit because of the spices I had on hand, but was pretty true to the recipe.

OH. MY. WORD.  It was so amazing.  Joe doesn't love eating soup for dinner, or any other time really, but he ate two bowls.  It was just perfect and will be made again.

Ingredients

4 cups of chicken broth
4 cups of potatoes, cut like you would for mashed potatoes (I used Yukon gold with the skins still on)
1/4 cup of minced onions
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 (8oz) package of cream cheese, cut into cubes
crumbled bacon
shredded cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Mix broth, potatoes, onions and spices and boil until potatoes are fork tender.
2. Smash some of the potatoes for thickening
3. Reduce heat and at cream cheese.
4. Stir soup until cream cheese melts.
5. Serve and top with bacon and cheddar cheese if wanted.

This is almost a one pot meal, except for the bacon that goes on top (which is pretty much necessary) needs to be made.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment