Sunday, September 16, 2012

Music is an outburst of the soul. ~Frederick Delius

One of the things I wish I would have done when I was in New York 5 years ago was go to a show on Broadway.  I have seen a few musicals, but none that would be considered Broadway quality.  Joe is not a fan of musicals so it makes sense that it wouldn't be something we would do together even though there are great shows up in Portland throughout the year.

It almost seems a little embarrassing at this point that I have seen so few shows but that is partly why I put seeing a Broadway show on my list.  I hadn't really made any headway with this particular item, it wasn't even really on my radar when my good friend Kellie invited me to go see Memphis since she had an extra ticket.

I knew nothing of the show, neither did she, but I said yes!  We drove up early and had lunch at P.F. Changs (which was amazing) and then made it to our seats with a few minutes to spare.

I have to say that the show did not disappoint.  This show won 4 Tony Awards in 2010 and even though I don't really have anything to compare it to, I can see why.  It is set in Memphis, Tennessee in the 1950's where a white DJ wants to do change the status quo and a young black singer who is just waiting to make her big break.  The story was very good and the singing was out of this world.  It was funny and heart-warming, tragic and heart-breaking all in a very short amount of time.

For I show I knew nothing about I would say I got pretty lucky.  And I have to admit that I have looked at the shows for the rest of this season and am a little more than intrigued by a few.  A bug my just have bitten me...


No comments:

Post a Comment