Saturday, January 25, 2014

Tortellini with Pesto and Spinach

Meatless Mains.  It is a new board on my Pinterest and there are a few (but only a few) recipes that I have found that I want to try.  We are not planning at all to become vegetarian but in an effort to expand things a bit, I thought I would challenge myself to try 20 new vegetarian recipes.  But then really, what I meant was meatless recipes...that meat wouldn't be at the center of the meal. (I say that because this recipe called for chicken broth, which I used, which wouldn't make it vegetarian.  Ok...you can see what I am getting at.)


I found this recipe and thought I would try it. It measures things in ounces and I didn't  So, I kinda guessed.  But what I made turned out really good, so I am sticking with it.

Ingredients
1 package of cheese tortellini
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cloves of garlic minced
a couple of shakes of red pepper flakes (really precise...I know)
4 cups of fresh spinach, roughly chopped
1/3 cup of pesto (I used my homemade pesto that doesn't have oil but has chicken broth)
1/2 cup of chicken broth (I suppose you could use vegetable broth but I had chicken broth in the freezer.)
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1/3 cup of parmesan cheese

Directions
1. Cook tortellini as directed on package.
2. Heat oil in pan and add garlic and red pepper flakes until garlic is cooked.
3. Add spinach and toss until it is wilted.
4. Stir in pesto and chicken broth.
5. Add in cheese tortellini and toss lightly in sauce.
6. Top with pine nuts and parmesan cheese lightly toss one more time.

This recipe was super easy and really yummy! I am not a huge lover of pesto so I didn't add as much as the original recipe called for but I did serve some on the side, which Joe did add to his plate.  I do have to say that this dish is full of flavor and completely stood on it's own for dinner.  The only thing I would add next time is a hunk of crust bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment