Sunday, September 18, 2011

"...and when you exhale, release the thoughts and feelings that do not serve you..." ~My yoga instructor

Hi.  My name is Jodie and I can be my own worst enemy.

They (who ever "they" are) say that the first step in overcoming a problem, is admitting you have one.  The above statement, I guess, is my admission.  

I think we all have that little voice in our head.  I seem to have several.  One is really sarcastic...I mean really sarcastic.  That particular voice likes to spend more time than reasonable on stating the obvious, mostly on things around me that I find annoying.  I kind of like that voice, but would be embarrassed if all of the sudden someone walked by me with a super-power that made it so everyone else could hear it.  I suppose that means I should probably work on quieting that voice. (That voice just spoke up...and I am not telling you what it said.)  

Another voice, one I like much less than the previous one, sounds an awful lot like my mother (a coincidence I am sure).  And unlike the previous voice that focuses it's attention on the outside, this voice focuses much more on me.  In general, it is the voice that tells me I am not good enough, I am not smart enough and people don't like me. Who knew I had Stuart Smalley's biggest naysayer living in my head? I am sure we all have a voice like this inside of ourselves to varying degrees.

The last voice, is a fairly recent addition to the jumbled mess.  At this point, I can only describe it best as a whisper.  It's main job seems to mainly be to tell the previous voices to kindly shut up.  I like this voice and would like it to get louder.  I have been trying to encourage this voice more but it wasn't until I was sitting in yoga one Saturday morning that it was clearly defined for me.

We were working on breathing techniques and meditation.  When I first started taking yoga, I was mostly looking for an exercise that I wouldn't hate and didn't realize that there were things, like breathing techniques and meditation, that would help with other parts of my well-being.  Anyway, we were sitting there and the instructor said something that for some reason switched something in my brain.  She said, "...and when you exhale, release the thoughts and feelings that do not serve you..."

Brilliant.

I know that I have heard and read more than my fair share of Oprah-like advice about letting go of things and quieting the voices in my head.  I know that all that negative self-talk about weight loss, or work, or friendships, or...or....or....or needs to stop.  I know that too many times I have sabotaged myself with my own voices.  But for some reason, on that day, in that moment there was some clarity for me.

Since that day, the whispered voice is gaining some ground.  And instead of filling my brain with more words, all I hear is "Breath. Serve yourself."  It is enough to stop the other voices and reframe my thinking.  There have been little reminders since then that have shown me how important it is to do this. They truthfully have probably always been there, I am just more likely to notice them now.

They say that old habits die hard. The upside?  Old habits can die.  I would imagine the same could be said for old voices.



1 comment: