Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Words you might never see in a dictionary again...

As I was searching for some words for this week's "Wordy Wednesday", came across an article that was talking about the fact that there are some words that researchers have found are so rarely used and obsolete that they are being considered for removal from the dictionary.  Now, that seemed kind of sad to me...the idea of words being obsolete (although I am sure it happens all the time).  So, since I am trying to catch up a little bit from weeks past before I revised my list to include a new word a week, I thought I would give props to the words that are soon going to be dropped from the dictionary.  Who knows?  Maybe one of use will bring one of the words back?  Ok...probably not, but still....

brabble: to argue stubbornly about trifles

younker: a young man or lad

bever: a light repast between meals (I have had my fair share of bevers in my time...)

supererogate: to do more than duty requires (It is kind of fun to say...)

deliciate: to delight one's self; to indulge in feasting; to revel. 

I guess out of the five of these, I can see myself using "brabble" more than any of them.  Is that because I brabble myself? Or is it because I am annoyed by people that brabble? 

Anyway, there is this week's word of the week along with 4 more of the 28 that I need to make up.  Which makes 24 more to make up.....

1 comment:

  1. I have tried and tried to fix the weird formatting issue....and have given up. Sorry....

    ReplyDelete