Sunday, January 20, 2013

Amish Applesauce Cake

On the last day of Christmas break, Taelin's dance class started back up.  There is a mobile program through the local gymnastics center that comes to her preschool on one of the three days that she is there.  She did it last year and when we asked her again if she wanted to do it there was no hesitation.  Selfishly, I love it for two reasons.  First, it is STINKIN' adorable!!! But second, the class is on Tuesday which is the first day back to preschool after four (usually pretty fun filled days) of being at home.  I love that Taelin loves to be at home, but it breaks my heart a little when she begs to stay home "just one more day"...until...I remind her that she has dance on Tuesday and then she is all about going to preschool.  I know she really loves it all once she gets there, but having dance on Tuesday is the one thing that makes it less of a battle before school (which in turn reduces the possibility of me crying on the way to work feeling guilty).

Anyway...Taelin had dance on the Tuesday but we were having furlough days so I wasn't working.  I still took her (to get her thinking that tomorrow she was going back to school all day and to watch because it is adorable) and when I came in the owner asked, "What are you bringing us to eat tomorrow?" It was done in a completely friendly manner because I often bring them treats but I can honestly say I hadn't even thought about.  I gave some noncommittal "You will just have to see!" and then after coming home did a quick search for an easy to bake something.  I decided to look specifically for something with applesauce in it, because I have a lot of applesauce in my freezer.  I didn't have to look long when I found this lovely little recipe.

I did change a few things because of what I had on hand (or didn't) but it came out wonderfully.  Taelin helped me every step of the way and it was the perfect way to end our last day of break.  We cut up most of it to give to the teachers, but saved enough for us to have after dinner.  It wasn't too sweet but it was sweet enough that you knew you were having a treat.

You can obviously just follow the recipe I linked but here is what I did...

Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1/2 softened butter
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. (I used my Misto with canola oil)
 
2. In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter with an electric beater on low speed. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; beat until well mixed. Add applesauce and vanilla; mix well and pour batter into prepared baking dish.
 
3. Bake 30 minutes and cool before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment