Saturday, March 9, 2013

2013 Garden is Born!

When talking to my parents a few weeks ago over Skype, my dad asked Taelin and I if we had planted our peas yet.  Our answer was no, of course, because it was still February and who plants peas in February.  Then my dad said something to the effect of, "Well, Grandpa used to always plant his peas in the last week of February."

My daughter, not really knowing how the whole name thing works, understandably thought my dad meant himself, because that is who Taelin calls Grandpa.  Who he really meant was his dad, my grandpa.  I did try to explain a little but the seed, pun intended, had already been planted.  Grandpa said we needed to plant peas in February and Taelin did not forget to remind me...over and over and over.

Well, it wasn't quite February but we did get the peas planted yesterday.  Not outside because at some point we will have like 3 weeks of non-stop rain and the poor little things would drown, but just little starter seeds to keep inside. And with these little 8 pots, our 2013 garden has officially been started!  We have some big plans, including building another box and leveling the ones we have, but all that can wait until later.

Here are some pictures of the official kick-off!


at some point I need to get a different bin, but this works for now

reading the directions



by far her favorite part


Now we wait!  And just in case you were wondering, we made sure to call Grandpa that night to tell him that we planted our peas...even if we were a little late.

No comments:

Post a Comment