Thursday, March 7, 2013

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Joe has been (I think for years) wanting me to read this series that he has found and fallen in love with.  When Joe and I first met, he read so much that I couldn't have ever imagined him not being a reader and in some ways I was right.  He "reads" all the times, but his reading now is more in the form of audio books.  He listens to and from work and before bed every night for who knows how long and he goes through books like nobody else I know. This book is the first in a series that follows a modern wizard as he, I presume because of the first book, aids in fighting crime while having a hard time keeping out of trouble himself.

I finally got around to reading the first book and was pleasantly surprised, although I shouldn't have been.  There isn't a book that Joe has recommended I read that I didn't like.  

Harry Dresden is a modern wizard that is called on to help the police department solve a double murder.  The setting assumes a certain dispelling of belief in terms of wizards, demons, faery, vampires although not any of these are known or accepted by everyone.   Harry is a bit of a lone ranger and as a wizard-for-hire, also gets called upon to solve some other cases.  In true series fashion, the unrelated cases he starts with at the beginning are all neatly connected by the end.  

I was at a disadvantage that I knew that were 13 more books (yes, 13 more at this point in the series) so I was never really worried that he was somehow not going to survive. There are quite a few things that are set up for a series and I am excited to see how they get played out.  The book was a quick read and I definitely enjoyed it.  I don't know that I will make it through all 13 before I pick something else up but I have no doubt that I will read them all.





No comments:

Post a Comment