Tuesday, June 28, 2011

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. ~Albert Schweitzer

When I first went into teaching I thought I would love every minute of it.  I remember sitting in experienced teacher's classrooms to accrue observation hours and wonder how in the world they could be so "mean" to their students.  I sat there judging those teacher's action, sure as I had ever been sure of anything, that those teachers were doing irreparable harm to the children in their class.  And what those teachers talked about in the staff room at lunch time?  Unbelievable!!!  I couldn't wait until I could finally get my own classroom and give those students someone that would love them unconditionally while having the most awesome, not-from-the-textbook lessons ever.

Then, I started teaching, for real.  I did okay my first couple years because I was high on getting a job.  I loved the kids. I loved getting there at 7 a.m. and not leaving until 6 p.m. because I was dedicated.  I loved working on Sunday and grading papers every night.  I really did.  I loved it.  But then a class came along that taught me what it really meant to be a teacher.  They challenged me every second of every single day.  I cried for hours the night before I had to return from Christmas break, convinced I would never make it until the end of the year.

And if that weren't enough, the Lutheran guilt machine I was raised with, kicked into high gear.  I had turned into that teacher.  The teacher that I said I would NEVER be...and I only lasted two years.  I felt like a horrible person.  (Just for the record, I would really like to go slap some sense into my former self...)

Now when I think back to that year, I smile.  I smile because that was the year I really learned how to be a teacher.  There were a lot of contributing factors, but the biggest support I had that year (and in years since) was another teacher at the school.  It wasn't like she exactly sought me out...we were brought together by a student that was by far my biggest challenge.  When I tried everything I knew how to do (which wasn't much mind you), this teacher was the one that listened when I need to vent, asked me questions to get me thinking, and offered advice and ideas when the last thing I tried didn't work.  She taught me, for real, how to see the strengths in someone that causes you to pull your hair out and drink excessively.

I made it through that school year and had never been so happy in my life.  I was ready for summer.  On the last day of school I was crying but it had nothing to do with missing kids or saying goodbye.  I was crying because I had made it.  And not surprising, that teacher was there again with a tissue and a hug.

I am lucky to say that teacher has become a friend.  A friend that has been with me through some of the hardest years of my life.  People looking at us might think we are an unlikely pair.  Some have assuming we are mother and daughter.  Don't I wish....

My friend has just retired after 39 years of teaching.  I am amazing and inspired by that number.  She amazes and inspires me every time I am with her.  It came to no surprise to me that she was not going to let us celebrate her retirement with a big party.  No money was to be spent on gifts.  So....I wrote her a letter.  A letter to tell her that she was the person that inspires me.  The person that rekindled my inner fire (and does so  all the time.)

And with that, #6 is complete.

2 comments:

  1. Those are amazing and special people to have in your life, glad you two found each other when you needed them most.

    ReplyDelete