Monday, June 27, 2011

On Writing by Stephen King

It is not often that my reading choices and Joe's overlap.  While we both prefer fiction, Joe's fiction choices tend to lean a little to the fantasy/science fiction type of book.  On the other hand, I love a realistic or historical fiction book or a good, old mystery/lawyer book.  Rarely do either of us really read non-fiction books.  

In this case though, I got this non-fiction book recommendation from Joe.  Joe actually has a degree in English and when we were first together he wrote all the time for his classes.  Granted, it was usually into the wee hours of the morning just before the paper/story was due...but nevertheless, he used to write all the time.  I don't really know what it was that took him away from reading his usual type of book, but he wasn't very far into On Writing when he told me that I needed to read it too.  

For the most part, I really enjoyed the book.  The book is a departure from the usual Stephen King fare.  It is a non-fiction book where King is offering insight and advice to a want-to-be writer (my terms, not his).  The first part of the book is a quick glimpse into King's own writing journey and the second half is like a guide for a budding writer addressing things King thinks are important aspects of becoming better at the craft of writing.  

While it isn't a particularly long book, it took me a long time to read.  It wasn't difficult, but I don't know that I was his target audience.  I do enjoy writing.  I would like to be better than I am now.  There are things I know I can work on.  But, I am not looking to writing a novel.  I don't have hours a day to dedicate to reading and writing (which I already know from talking to "real" writers and King says is necessary.)  King also said at one point that either you can write or you can't.  Looking back, that is where I started to slow down when reading.  I just don't know if I agree.

As I was thinking about what kind of writer I am, I started to think about other writer's I know.  I have been lucky to write alongside with some pretty amazing writers. And when I got the courage to share my own writing with them, they were always kind, encouraging and thoughtful in their responses.  That is what writing with National Writing Project people will get you.  Many of those same people are the people that wake up hours before they have to be at work, in order to get their writing time for the day. They are sending off poems, articles, and stories to be published and have to deal with the rejection letters that come more than the acceptance.  For them, it is all part of being a writer.  It is a passion.

It isn't the same for me.  I am content (for now) journaling the stories of life through my scrapbooking, blogging my thoughts, and writing the occasionally story in my writer's notebook.  No, Stephen King, I will not be on the bestseller list ever in my life.  But that doesn't mean I can't write. I tell kids all the time, as young as five, that they are writers because they can tell a story.  Writers don't have to sell books.  Writers don't even really ever have to let anybody read what they have written.  Writers are people that write.  That is all...nothing more, nothing else.

1 comment:

  1. This book sits on Charlie's shelves and he encouraged me to read it too. It's been helpful for me when I substitute:
    "write" with "make art"
    "journal" with "sketch"
    and "submit writings" with "apply for shows"

    I like reading about other people's creative process because it reminds me that others, even successful others, have days when they don't what to make or days when they feel like it's not good enough. You just have to keep putting it out there.

    ReplyDelete