Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Spoons (and my opinion of anything closely related to chicken salad)

It was the first day after school was done and the sun was shining.  Taelin had one last day in daycare until she was home with me for the summer and I had cleaned the house a bunch the night before so that I could truly have a day to myself.  What a gift!

With all the possibilities a day to myself had to offer, I knew lunch out with a friend was at the top of the list.  Once landing on a time, our attention turned to a much more significant question of "where"?  A few favorites were thrown out as ideas, as was a little bistro (I think it is safe to call it a bistro) called Spoons.  Since I had been neglecting my blog for so long, I jumped at the chance to go somewhere new and off to Spoons we went.

We got there before the lunch rush, but for some reason I felt the need to rush when trying to decide what to order.  A bad idea when somewhere new.  As we stood at the counter, I scanned the menu looking for something that wasn't going to be completely unhealthy. I saw...bed of lettuce, shredded chicken, dried cranberries, celery, pecans, dressing...perfect.  A salad, with chicken...just hold the pecans, dressing on the side. Good choice made.

Except that when I went to order and asked for no pecans and the dressing on the side the guy taking my order said, "We can't really because is it all mixed in."  At this point, I should have said, "Oh, ok...let me take a look again" and let the person behind me order.  But I didn't....in an attempt to not be a problem, hold up the line, and look like a picky idiot I just said, "Oh...okay, no problem."  I ordered an iced tea to drink and my friend and I headed outside to sit at a table.

My friend and I launched quickly into a conversation, trying to catch up since the last time we had seen each other and I had almost forgotten what I order until the waiter came outside.  Then I saw it.  A huge pile of chicken salad on top of some lettuce.  You know, the kind of chicken salad that just is a bunch of ingredients that separately are good but are ruined by being all smashed together only to be stuck together by some unidentified gooey something, usually something mayonnaise based. (If you haven't guessed by now, this is where my opinion of chicken salad comes in.)

Needless to say, I tried it but I couldn't really enjoy it.  I had no idea how to even go about calculating the Weight Watcher points because I had no way of knowing how much of anything was in the chicken salad.  I picked around it, ate some of it along with the lettuce but all in all was hungry in the end.  I can't blame this on Spoons at all, it was all my fault.  I will say that after this experience, I remember that I really dislike going to places that aren't fast food but still have you order at the counter.  If a restaurant has any kind of a menu at all that is not order-by-number, I need a chance to look at.  Still not their fault.

Luckily, my lunch companion more than made up for my own ordering mistake.  The good conversation and friendship was really what I was looking for.  She really enjoyed her sandwich which had pesto and mozzarella..and maybe tomatoes?!?  I am going to have to go back with her again and do things a little differently.

So my lesson learned from this....grab a menu and step aside.  Read CAREFULLY.  Don't worry about who is waiting on you or for you. (this last one is easier said than done).

No comments:

Post a Comment