Sunday, July 24, 2011

Applesauce...yeah, I know, applesauce

My need to try new recipes comes from a couple different places.  In the case of this recipe, it is my attempt to reduce our reliance on processed packaged food.  I am LONG way from doing it completely and I don't really think that is my goal, but if there are ways that I can better know what we are eating while saving money I am all for it.

Applesauce is something that all three of us like, but up until this recipe, was something I just bought.  I hadn't really considered even making it until I put pork chops on the menu plan for last week and wrote down applesauce to go with it. After I wrote it down, I thought to myself, "How hard can applesauce be to make?"  Turns out...not very hard at all.  I wanted something simple and easy to make.  Just a few ingredients and a few steps.  I looked around and came up with this recipe.  I will probably never buy applesauce again.


Ingredients:
3 apples (I used Gala apples because it was what I had on hand.  Most of the recipes suggested using Granny Smith apples but I chose not to do that so I didn't have to add as much sugar as some of the other recipes.)
1/4 cup of white sugar
1/2 cup of water
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon (I am sure you could leave this out but I don't know why in the world you would)

Directions:
1. Core, peel, and cube apple.  Place in a pot.
2. Add sugar, water, and cinnamon.  Cover and cook on medium heat for 15-20 minutes.  I stirred a couple of times because I am a compulsive stirrer (how is that even a word?).  You just want to make sure the apples are tender.
3. Remove from heat and let cool.  Once they are cool, use a potato masher to mash the apples to whatever consistency you like.  I left mine kind of chunky.

It smelled really good as it was cooking and it tasted just like it smelled.  I am going to try and freeze some the next time I make it.  If it freezes well, I can see myself make a HUGE batch sometime this fall when apples are at their cheapest.  Either way, it will be made in this house again.

No comments:

Post a Comment