Monday, July 25, 2011

Chicken Salad

 When I was in Montana the week before last, my friend Chris and I were talking about cooking and lunches.  Actually, we talked about WAY more than that, but for the purposes of how this post came to be we were talking about cooking and lunches.  I was talking about how I sometimes cook a turkey breast to use for sandwiches later on in the week instead of buying lunch meat.  Chris mentioned how he often does the same thing to chicken and makes chicken salad. 

That reminded me of this post, where I ranted a little bit more than necessary about my feeling about chicken salad. I mentioned to Chris my dislike for mayo and he said that sometimes his wife uses yogurt instead of mayo.  Ok...I was at least open the option now...but I still refuse to shred the chicken, you just get a gloppy mess.  After looking at a few recipes, here is what I came up with.

Ingredients:
6 oz of cubed chicken (I used a boneless, skinless chicken breast that I boiled)
1/2 cup of red grapes sliced in half
1/2 cup of celery, chopped
2 tablespoons of onion, finely diced
2 tablespoons of plain yogurt (I used a non-fat yogurt)
salt and pepper to taste
a couple shakes of celery salt

Directions:
1. Combine chicken, grapes, celery and onion.
2. Combine yogurt, salt, pepper and celery salt. (I did this mostly to control the flavor of the yogurt before mixing)
3. Mix the two together.

It was pretty easy to make and would be really simple if I had leftover chicken of any kind.  It made two servings and I used big romaine lettuce leaves and made a lettuce wrap of sorts.  Very filling and super low points.  I will definitely be making it again.  Who knew?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment