Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Roasted Chicken

I have never roasted a chicken before.  Well, I guess that isn't technically true anymore but it was up until recently.  Roasting a chicken is just something I have never needed to do I guess.  Joe doesn't like dark meat and it is not my favorite.  Plus, by the time I would have needed to get around to learned how to roast a chicken I could easily pick one up and any grocery store for 5 bucks.

But, in an attempt to have more control over knowing what I am eating, I decided to give a try.  Plus, I had a whole chicken in my freezer that I had purchased when they were only .99 cents a pound and needed the room for all the strawberries Taelin and I had just picked.

I went for the really simple recipe without a lot of extras.  And it was seriously the easiest thing ever..okay, all except pulling out of the gizzard and liver from the cavity of the chicken.  That was gross. But really, it was pretty easy.

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken
olive oil
salt and pepper (see...I told you...I went for a really basic recipe)

Directions:
After cleaning out the cavity, rinse and dry the chicken.  I rubbed olive oil on the skin and then sprinkled salt and pepper on the inside and out.  There were lots of recipes that suggested putting something in the cavity to help flavor the chicken but I didn't.  I might play around with this next time.

Roast the chicken in an 350 degree oven for 20 minutes for every pound plus another 15 minutes.  (I followed the directions given on www.allrecipes.com)   I ended up covering the chicken with some foil about 45 minutes in because I didn't want to burn the skin.

We easily got two meals out of my $2.94 chicken plus I made about 25 cups of chicken broth which is great but then that gave me freezer space trouble again.  All in all...a yummy meal, easy to do, and even if you don't count all the chicken broth I made (which I do) it was really economically. 

No comments:

Post a Comment