Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Balsamic Glazed Carrots

Once I realized that roasting a chicken was so easy, I decided to look for a new vegetable side dish to go with my roasted chicken.  I like cooked carrots, but I have honestly only cooked them with a pot roast in the crockpot.  And I would guess that those carrots aren't quite as healthy cooked in that manor.

I have eaten glazed carrots before, but I knew my challenge would be that Joe doesn't like things too sweet....except it is a dessert, and then it can't be sweet enough.  Wanting to make something that would encourage healthy eating for all of us I ended up combining a few different recipes to make this.  It was really good and really easy.  I could easily see myself making these every other week.

Ingredients:
4 cups of carrots ( peeled them and cut them on an angle in one inch chunks)
2 teaspoon of olive oil
1/2 tablespoon of brown sugar (the needed a little sweetness)
1 1/2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar

Directions:
1. Bring a pot of water to boiling.  Put carrots in boiling water for only 2-3 minutes. (some recipes suggested steaming, but I have a hate/hate relationship with my steamer)  You don't want them mushy so don't leave them in too long.
2. Drain the water out and heat the olive oil on low.  Put the carrots back in the pot along with the brown sugar and balsamic vinegar.  I cooked them for probably 6-8 more minutes and the carrots still had a bite to them, which is what I wanted.

Delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment