Sunday, July 31, 2011

Grateful for the Everyday Things

I use my stove/oven every single day, often several times a day.  This has been even more true since having Taelin (which keeps us home more) and me doing Weight Watchers (cooking more from scratch).  So when we had the fireworks show in the kitchen which was the oven element basically melting in two pieces, and after I was sure that my house wasn't going to burn down, panic set in.  How long was I going to have to improvise with the other things that I had?  How was I going to prepare some of the staples I had come to depend on?  How much was this all going to cost?  (If you didn't know already, which I am guessing you do, I am a bit of a worrier.)

But not even 12 hours later, a new element was being shipped and was going to arrive within three days...it arrived in two.  The panic subsided and I was able to make my eggs for breakfast by Thursday. Then I started thinking about how much I take for granted the things I use on a daily basis.  Things I don't even consider but if were suddenly gone, could have a impact on my daily life.

The dishwasher, the washer and dryer, my car, my phone...heaven-forbid my computer!  I use all of these things on a daily basis without giving one thought to how lucky I am to have them.  All of them could probably be consider convenience items, but yet without them I would seriously be crippled.  So this week, before I use something I am going to remember to be thankful that I even have it to use.  Life really shouldn't get that busy that we forget to remember the things that make our lives easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment