Thursday, July 21, 2011

She laughed (of course) and she cried (thank goodness)

July 14, 2011 was a significant day for several reasons.  First, and most importantly, it was my sister's wedding day.  Second, and very important to me, it was the last time I will ever have to wear a bridesmaid dress since I was the matron of honor.  And finally, because the first two occurred, it allowed me the possibility of checking off #16 which was to write a speech that would make my sister both laugh and cry.


I am happy to report that I succeeded.  While I don't mind writing for an audience (obviously), I am less than comfortable reading something that I have written in front of a crowd.  When it really comes down to it, I don't have to see you (the reader) not laugh at something I thought was going to be funny or see you stop in the middle of reading a post to go check your facebook account.  Sitting here, I can imagine that you are all reading each of my posts, with lots of time and one of your favorite drinks beside you.  But in person, I can see the people that are listening to what I have wrote and that, quite frankly, made me a nervous wreck.  After finishing the first draft of the speech, Joe asked me how it turned out.  I responded that it was much better written than I would be able to speak it.  He responded with a simple, "Just read it slowly. It will be great."  And even though I was worried right up until the moment before the speech, I remembered his advice as I stood up and wrapped my hand around the microphone.  (The empty mason jar in front of me that had just a few minutes previous been filled with half spiced rum and half coke also helped.) 

I made Lorie laugh, even when my speech made others laugh at her.  And there was just enough to make her cry without making me into a blubbering mess trying to get through the rest of it.  It was a beautiful day (despite the thunderstorm that rolled through right as the guests were showing up for the outdoor event) and Lorie made an even more beautiful bride. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you

    I love you so much. Your speech was perfect. I know you were hesitant about doing the bridesmaid thing, but I'm so thankful you did. You are the only person that I wanted standing right next to me on my wedding day.

    I'm lucky to be your sister.

    Love,
    You're Pixie on PCP

    ReplyDelete