Saturday, October 15, 2011

Getting the Girl by Markus Zusak

In late July of this year I read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  One of my dearest friends had already read the book and when we were talking about how much we both loved the book, I asked her if she had read any of his other books.  She hadn't but not too long after that conversation she presented me with a short stack of books by Zusak.  She had purchased a few of his other books and let me choose any of them to borrow.

I read the back of Getting the Girl and I picked it because it seemed to be such a drastic difference in topic than the previous book I had read.  While I loved the story of The Book Thief, I equally love Zusak's writing style and was interested how it would translate to a different topic.  Let me just go ahead and say it.  I loved this book too.  It is a not-so-simple simple story of a boy who loves a girl.  It is a story about a boy who is trying to understand who is he is relationship to his family.  It is a story about a writer.

The story wasn't as gripping as The Book Thief.  Things weren't a matter of life and death and there wasn't the strong historical significance, but it was a great story.  Again, Zusak impressed me with his style and cemented the fact that I now intend on reading every book he has written.  I need to go back to my friend's stack of books and trade this one for the next one...and the next one...and the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment