Monday, October 3, 2011

Mixed Up Muffins

As Taelin is eating more and more I am finding that I have random leftover bits of things in the frig or cupboard...a half an apple, 1/4 cup of pineapple, part of a box of raisins, partially eaten container of yogurt that she has decided she no longer likes.  You get the picture.  

I HATE throwing food away and so the other day I remembered a recipe for muffins that I cut and paste from some blog at one point that I never got around to trying that would be perfect for all these little leftover things.  I wish I could remember where I got it so I could give it credit, but after searching for sometime I gave up...the internet is a big place.

So, here is the basic recipe:

  • 2 cups grain
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
  • 1 cup milk or other liquid
  • 1 egg 
  • Up to 1/3 cup fat or substitute (or 1/2 cup applesauce)
  • Up to 1/2 cup sweetener
  • Up to 1 cup muffin additions
  • spices to complement your additions
Mix dry, add wet, add additions.  Your batter should be sort of lumpy, not too runny; spoonable short of pourable.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 18 minutes.  Makes about one dozen.
Pretty versatile isn't it.  Now, if you like to have things exactly measured out and step by step directions, then this recipe might not be for you.  But for me, it has been great.  I always use applesauce instead of oil just to make it a little more healthy. Here are the 4 kinds I have made so far...but I am really just getting started.
To make cornbread muffins (which I will be doing tonight again).... For my 2 cups of grains I used 1 cup of cornmeal and 1cup of flour. I used 1/4 cup of white sugar and 1/4 of honey for my sweetener.  I used milk for the liquid and then 1/2 cup of corn and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese as the additions along with probably the 2 tablespoons of leftover green chiles I had. 
One time I used 2 cups of flour, 1/2 cup of yogurt, 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of white sugar, and for the one cup of additions used leftover crushed pineapple, shredded coconut, and chocolate chips.  
One time I had 2 bananas that were getting mushy but didn't have enough for banana bread.  I used the flour, milk, brown sugar for sweetener and added the smashed banana and peanut butter.  YUM!!!
Last night, I made cinnamon apple muffins.  I used 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of oatmeal, the rest of the yogurt I had and added milk until it equaled a cup.  I used brown sugar for the sweetener and chopped up the apple that Taelin didn't want to finish.  I added raisins to get to a cup of additions and added some cinnamon. I used my new toaster oven and they were so good!
I LOVE this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment