Thursday, July 25, 2013

"I have read just a bit this summer." <---- Biggest Understatement of the Summer

I just checked to see which book I last blogged about and realized again what I already knew.  I have been reading a ton this summer! I have finished the Dresden series (well, at least all that is out right now) and loved the last four books.  Number 15 is supposed to come out some time in 2013. Yay!

 


Taelin and I have been going to the library fairly regularly this summer, and I have been grabbing books by Kristin Hannah.  I read one of her books earlier and they are such quick reads. I honestly feel bad how quickly I read through them just knowing how long it takes to write!  The main characters are all women and I am so completely her target audience.  It is genre writing for sure, but great for escape!

 

Two of the books that I read that were quick but not easy reads.  The first was Defending Jacob by William Landay.  It has been recommended to me by several people.  It reminded me a little of The Dinner and We Need to Talk About Kevin.  I knew that it wouldn't have a happy ending...there was just a doom about the book from the beginning...and I was right although the details of the ending surprised me.  I am really glad I finally read it and can see why so many people thought I would love it.


The last book is the one that impacted me the most. I picked up Girlchild a few months ago with a gift card and it has been sitting on my night stand since. I am sad that I left it sit there for so long.  It was a hard read like The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls.  And while it has very little to do with school (other than the girl goes to school)  but I believe that anyone teaching in a public school, particularly one that has students of poverty, should read this book.  It is a fiction book but it tells the true stories of countless students, students that sit in our classrooms day after day dealing with stuff that should only be fiction but isn't.  There is some hard subject matter that some people will find too much for them but it is just an incredible book.



No comments:

Post a Comment