Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Pasta Salad

Yesterday I was meeting with a friend who is working on organizing herself in the area of menu planning and cooking.  I was going back through my menu plans searching for recipes that would fit the bill of what she was looking for and while making my list, added "pasta salad".  When I meet with her, her eyes got kind of big and she said, "Aren't there, like, thousands of pasta salads?!?"  Um...yeah, there are.  And it hit me that perhaps I should share my pasta salad recipe.  It seems the time of year where you might need to take one to a picnic or BBQ so here you go!

Ingredients:
1 bag of cheese tortellini
1 English cucumber, cut into bite size pieces
5 Roma tomatoes, seeded and cut into bite size pieces
1 can of small black olives (I leave these whole, mostly so it is easier for me to pick them out!)
1/4 cup of chopped pepperoncinis
2 Tablespoons of juice from the pepperoncini jar
3 Tablespoons of finely chopped parsley
1 cup Greek dressing
1 small container of crumbled feta cheese


Directions
1.  Cook cheese tortellini per instructions and then cool completely.  (I usually just run cold water over it in the strainer.)
2.  Combine the chopped cucumber, tomatoes, black olives and tortellini.  Then add the pepperoncinis and the juice, along with the parsley.
3.  Then add the Greek dressing and finally the feta.


Chill in the frig for a couple of hours so things start to really get happy together but you can eat it right away.  It is honestly best the next day, so I try to make it the night before I am going to need it.  I  don't know why I add things in little by little other than it seems to help get them evenly throughout the salad instead of dumping everything in at once.

I have in the past just used regular pasta instead of cheese tortellini and that it is good too.  It obviously reduces the cost of the salad but it isn't quite as good.  I think the original recipe also had red onion but it was way to overpowering.  It does make A LOT of salad so be prepared for leftovers if you are just making for your family.


No comments:

Post a Comment