Sunday, July 28, 2013

To poke a wood fire is more solid enjoyment than almost anything else in the world. ~Charles Dudley Warner

Almost 4 years ago (technically 3 years and 11 months) Joe and I took Taelin on our first overnight trip.  We went to Seaside for the weekend when Taelin was 6 months old and I remember worrying about it for days. Would I remember everything I was supposed to?  What would I do if she woke up in the middle of night I couldn't get her calmed down?  Would I even get her to sleep to begin with?

So when the friends we went with suggested that we do a fire down at the beach later in the evening, I found myself with a whole bunch of things that I hadn't even time to worry about!  We walked the block to the beach and after a bit, had a pretty good fire going.  It was my first beach fire and while I loved it, there was a part of me that felt horrible about taking Taelin out that late, etc, etc.  I have been wanting to do a beach fire again since that trip and it just never seemed to work out.

Right now there are somewhere around 6-7 guys (including Joe) all sitting in our house with their computers in front of them.  They have been there the better part of the day and will probably be there for awhile playing a variety of games.  I could say more, but my point in sharing this is that Taelin and I needed to be out of the house tonight.  The original plan was to go and visit my sister up in Seattle but that fell through, so we decided to go the beach for the night like we did last year when Joe hosted.

My point?  I made the reservation for this place on Thursday.  We packed for it this morning. Not exactly giving me time to worry but it was ok because I wasn't worried at all!  Oh, what a difference 4 years makes.

Since I planned it so last minute, the room was more than I would have liked.  As I was thinking of ways I could offset the cost, a brilliant idea came to me!  We could roast hot dogs on the beach instead of going out for dinner.  I was finally going to get my beach fire again!  We spent hours down at the beach beforehand; running in the waves, looking for shells, digging holes and then filling them up again.  Finally, Taelin started making noise about getting hungry so I got the fire going (on the second try) and roasted hot dogs and then marshmallows.  After we ate, I sat by the fire (and of course, poked at it) and watched Taelin play for another hour before we packed our sandy-selves up back to the room.  We got ourselves clean and watched the sunset, talked to Joe via Skype and then snuggled into bed.

Consider #58, build a fire on the beach, complete!

Here are some pictures of before...

August 2009

YUM! 
so little....

clearly she was worried about being out so late....

....very worried.  Oh wait, no, that's me that's worried.

And a few from today...

treasure hunting


And we have fire! 

Dinner...
'
...with a side of sand.

She actually wanted me to take a picture!

Love that smile!
<3
we practically had the whole place to ourselves



our view from our room...perfect!


This might be the fastest turn around for an event to blog post I have had.  I am currently snuggled up next to Taelin with the window open to the ocean waves and cool air not really worried about anything at all. Quite a change from 4 years ago. Oh, what a difference 4 years makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment