Wednesday, March 7, 2012

aubade: a song or poem greeting the dawn

The week we were in San Diego was an absolute blast and by design it was a break from the normal routine of life.  That being said, it was nice after a hurried week of going here and there that we had the weekend to recovery before heading back to work/school.  We got in late Friday night and luckily Taelin slept in a fair amount Saturday morning.  She was a great little traveler, even on the days she end up missing her afternoon nap, but I knew given the chance that she would take the opportunity to sleep a little extra.

I woke up earlier than I would have liked to this past Saturday morning and was out here in the living room catching up on some of the blogs that I follow, when I wonderful aubade floated down the hallway into my ear.  It was Taelin, who had finally woken up.  She is so funny when she wakes up before we have to wake her up, like on a daycare day. You would think that she would get up and play in her room but she doesn't.  She just sits up in her bed and sings her lungs out.  She isn't singing to anyone in particular I don't think, she is just filling her room with her own voice.  

There are many things that warm my heart when I think about Taelin, but there is very little that can really compare to how I feel when I am listening to her sing when she doesn't know I am listening.  There is just something so pure and innocent about her voice.  It makes me smile to think of the happiness that is in her own heart that she is driven to sing.  Sometimes I just let her sing until she calls for me. (The longest she sang for was 40 minutes before calling for me.) Other times I go in when she is singing and she instantly stops, looking a little embarrassed that she got caught.  

I love my days home with her.  Even the hard ones are filled with so much greatness.  I feel so incredibly grateful to be her mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment