Sunday, March 18, 2012

You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance. ~Franklin P. Jones

Apparently when a person turns three they develop a superpower.  Maybe there are a variety of superpowers that are developed, like in the comics.  I don't know and don't really have the time to find out.  I have to save any extra energy I might have to summon my own superpower of patience.  Even sitting here, writing this post, is weakening my defenses.  I will be more vulnerable tomorrow.  I better get on with this...

There have been more than a few deep breaths and/or long pauses in the last few weeks.  Taelin is trying out the word "no" a little more than usual and with a little more force after a simple request had been made.  She is also trying out just plain ignoring.  Both of these strategies are accompanied with some sort of a look.  "No" is usually accompanied with a straight stare and a small smile.  Ignoring, on the other hand, is accompanied by a sideways glance.  Both looks say, "And you are going to now do what?" ***this is where the deep breath and long pause tends to happen***

None of the things that she is being asked to do that elicit these responses are things she wasn't asked to do 2 months ago.  They are simple things like, "Please take this shirt to your blue basket." or "Clean up your tea set before you play puzzles."  They are things that two months ago resulted in "Why sure, Mama!"  or "Ok, I can do that!"

Now before I get too ahead of myself, I do have to say that none of this is really that surprising.  It almost seems like kids were made to test boundaries.  Kids work and act differently in different situations, just like most adults.  Childhood is hopefully where they should learn what is appropriate and when so that when they grow up they aren't giant turds.  What is surprising though, is how freakin' exhausting the constant battle for those boundaries can be.  

I am summoning patience that I never knew I had.  I hope that I can continue to dig to find the patience I need.  My modeling of how I handle frustration is being watched, very closely.  My modeling of holding my ground is being watched, very closely.  My modeling of being flexible is being watched, very closely.  She is watching all the time; watching and listening.

So, if anyone out there knows of some strange radiation or a rare bug that might change my DNA to provide more patience, I would surely appreciate it.  Until then, I am going to be very well oxygenated from all my deep breaths...

No comments:

Post a Comment