Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Garden Update 8/22/12

Today I remembered that I have a garden in my backyard.  Kind of sad for those plants that haven't been watered since Sunday.  As I was trimming the green beans that had yellowed because of no water and too much heat, I told Joe that I wasn't sure a garden was the best idea for me.  Right now, when things need lots of daily care, I am working more than I usually do during the school year.  Even if I was keeping up with the watering, all that would do is give me a TON of produce that I would have to take care of in some way.  Right now the simplicity of our CSA box is making me smile a lot more than my garden is.

At this point, there are no radishes, peas, spinach or lettuce.  The radishes were my choice to pull, the peas just ran their course and the spinach and lettuce were thoroughly enjoyed by the slugs (which, by the way, are gone because of the hot temperatures we have been having).

What is left?  Well, 3 cherry tomato plants that have a huge number of green tomatoes, 4 Roma tomato plants (2 of which are dying), 3 Better Boy tomato plants (which is producing many tomatoes along with the Roma...but are mostly falling victim to blossom end rot), 2 pepper plants, two rows of carrots and 4 green bean bushes.

While I expect that the cherry tomatoes will do quite well, my plans for preserving veggies for the winter are fading.  We will have enough green beans to eat this fall, but not enough to blanch and freeze.  All the wondering tomato sauce I was dreaming about isn't probably going to happen either.  At least not from my garden!

Here is what things are looking like...







Even though things aren't doing quite what I had hoped, I am still glad that I did it all and will for sure do something next spring.  I have learned a lot and have a greater appreciation for where my fruits and veggies are coming from.  We still have a few weeks to go and I am really hoping that the spray that I got for the blossom end rot helps out all the green tomatoes not yet having problems.

And now, before I turn in for the night, I am going to set an alarm on my phone...to remind me tomorrow that there is a garden in my backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment