Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Raspberry Sorbet

Taelin's dairy allergy rarely slows us down.  There are so many options out there with dairy alternatives and her allergy isn't so bad that we have to avoid every little bit.  We steer clear of cheese, cow's milk, yogurt and ice cream.  She knows that she has to have soy milk, not eat cheese and has a special yogurt and ice cream.  She also knows that it will make her sick if she does eat it and she hates throwing up and so we don't ever have a problem.  Every once and awhile she will be disappointed but gets over it pretty quickly.  Have I mentioned lately what a great kid I have?

I had the idea the other of making sorbet for Taelin with some of the raspberries we picked last year and had frozen.  I am trying to use up what we already have before the great harvest of this year needs to fill my freezers.  I searched for a recipe that we could use our ice cream maker with that also didn't have a ton of extra stuff in it, like corn syrup.

It was a very easy, Taelin helping friendly recipe and the result was to die for!  I don't know if I will ever buy sorbet for her again.  Ok..that probably is a lie, the kind of lies told in the heat of the summer when I am not working.  I do think that we will be buying less of it though an using the great Oregon berries we have access to!  I used the recipe from www.food.com pretty much the way it was written...except for the waiting 3 hours to eat it!

Ingredients:
1 pound raspberries
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh lime juice

Directions: 
1. Combine berries with sugar and lime juice, crushing them lightly with the back of a spoon.
2. Let rest at least 30 minutes, or until the berries release their juice (If using frozen berries, allow to rest until thawed).
3. Transfer berries and juice to a food processor and blend until smooth; strain puree, if desired, then chill until cold.
4. Freeze puree in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
5. When frozen, transfer to a freezer container, press a piece of wax paper to top, and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours.

I am guessing that any kind of fruit could be used in place of raspberries and Taelin has already decided the next batch we make will be strawberry!  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment