Monday, November 12, 2012

A few books I have been reading...

I currently find myself typing this post using my iPad (which is a little more difficult than my laptop) sitting in a hotel room in downtown Chicago. I am here only overnight and then am off to the New Teacher Induction Network fall conference for the next three days. Our time here is pretty much packed but I will say these few hours between being done for the day and going to bed are the loneliest when I am away from home. In a little bit I will probably settle in to read but thought I might come here (feel a little less lonely since it feels like I am having a conversation) and tell you about the last three books I have read.

Yep, the last three. If you have been wondering why the blog posts aren't plentiful it is because I have been reading up a storm.

The first book I have read recently was 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I am generally not a fan of the stuff that you think of when you first hear "Stephen King" because of the horror element that is in a lot of his writing but this book was much more sci-fi than horror. I will admit that it took me some time to get into this book but I was hooked after a little bit. Without going into a lot of the details I think the two things that I thought most about when
I was reading this book were 1) how little I actually know about JFK's assassination and 2) how just the littlest action could affect the future.

The second book I read recently was What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty. Alice comes to after a head injury at the gym to find out that she has lost 10 years of her life to amnesia. As she tries to put things back together she starts to find that life has turned out much differently than she thought it would at 29. She doesn't remember any of her kids, why her marriage is falling apart or why her and her sister are so distant. In general it was an "ok" read but it did get me thinking about what a 10 year younger Jodie would think of me now? Or what I think I will be like in ten years? I am lucky that Joe and I have grown and changes together. Or is it luck? It definitely made me think...

The book that I just finished yesterday was The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grisson. It. Was. Incredible.

Set in the late 1700's to the early 1800's the book follows a young Irish girl who is brought to a plantation to work off a family debt and follows her through her life living and working with the slaves who call that plantation home. It is as she grows older that she realizes the color of her skin means something to the other people around her. She is pulled by two worlds and her loyalties are put the test.

This book was absolutely amazing. The characters were well developed and the events, while hard to read, held true to the time period. This book was the first by the author and she will be on my watch list for any new books that she might write.

And with that, I am off to read some more. The outside traffic noise has yet to quite (and it is 10:30) and the wind is blowing pretty hard so I have a feeling that a good book will be a welcome distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment