Monday, November 5, 2012

The Next Thing On My List by Jill Smolinski

I just kind of happened upon this book, probably because of the title.  Once I started reading it was a little eerie. The main character, June, sets out to finish a list of a woman that was killed in a car accident.  Marissa, the woman who died, was riding in a car with June and after they were hit Marissa was thrown from the vehicle after unbuckling her seat belt to get a taco soup recipe on the way home from a Weight Watchers meeting.

June found Marissa's "20 things to do before I turn 25" list and decided that she was going to finish it for her.  The rest of the story is about June working on finishing the list.  We get to meet some of Marissa's family (some of the things on the list had to do with them) and we get to learn more about June as she works her way through the list.  Not too surprising, working through the list changed June's life in ways that she couldn't have expected.

About half way through I thought I had figured out how it was going to end, and to be honest, I was irritated by my prediction.  It would have been too tidy and not very realistic but I still expected it since I have been right in the past about endings of books like this one. I was wrong though and was very happy that I was.

Overall though, I thought this book was just ok.  I liked it just fine but didn't love it.  The writing was fine, the topic was something I connected to (obviously) but it was still just ok.  Maybe it is because I am on my own little list completing adventure that reading about some fictional list just wasn't as exciting. Who knows!



No comments:

Post a Comment