Monday, November 19, 2012

A good snapshot stops a moment from running away. ~Eudora Welty

I thought that I was doing a pretty good job of managing all of the photos I have been taking in the past year, but as I get ready to put some things together for Christmas I have come to realize I could have done better.  We have some of our photos in multiple places but not all of our photos together in multiple places.  Joe has worked his magic so that when the media center hasn't been active in a while, it pulls from our photos randomly and it is fun because we get to see photo from all sorts of different times and places in our lives.  But since I have started managing more of the photos his magic hadn't connected with my organization...until this weekend.

It is going to take TWO days to copy and duplicate all the photos between Dropbox (we bought extra space) and our home server but as they are trickling in they are getting added to the rotation of photos on the screen.  This post is actually probably going to take me longer than it should because I keep glancing up and watching the photos fade in and out.  I just saw a picture of me reading a story to Taelin last summer and then it jumped to her at about 6 months old with a huge toothless grin.  And then there was a sweet picture of her just days old sleeping on my chest. I can't help but feel grateful for my life.

It seems reasonable that this time of year that a person takes extra care to think about what they are grateful for, but I can honestly say that even though my "one little word" this year has been 'peace', a lot of what has helped me think about 'peace' is feeling thankful for what I have, where I am, and who I am with.  (I just saw a picture from the kitchen remodel a year ago...what a fun time that was!)

I am certainly not the world's best photographer and I don't want to be.  And while I could list all the great things that we did this year (and we did a lot of great things), what I am most grateful for right now is that I captured a lot of those moments with my camera.  Some of them are better than others; too much light or not enough light, blurry or the wrong thing in focus but in the middle of all of those are the gems that take my breath away and transport me back to that exact moment.

Most of the pictures, no surprisingly, have been since Taelin has joined our life.  But there are a few from before and Joe has a huge bucket of pre-digital photos that will eventually be scanned and folded in the bunch.  Some are from Joe's childhood because John was diligent about getting most of those photos in years ago.  (When he was in the middle of project, John would send me whatever worst/best picture of Joe he came across.  All I can say about that is that Joe is lucky that Facebook wasn't around 10 years ago when John was working on that project!)

But still there is no denying, just looking at that sheer volume of pictures, how much joy and fullness Taelin has brought into our lives.  These years are going quickly, too quickly if you ask me, but thanks to my cameras and my insistence on bringing them everywhere, all of those moments have been been stopped from running away.

Gratitude is the memory of the heart.  ~Jean Baptiste Massieu

Taelin's First Thanksgiving
2009

No comments:

Post a Comment