Saturday, November 17, 2012

These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf

This book has been on my radar for awhile.  I bought the book when Borders went out of business last year because the cover just grabbed me.  I should have read this book the day I bought it.  It was incredible.

I read this entire book in one sitting.  It helped that I was on the plane flying back from Chicago but I am positive that I would have stayed up later or woken up early or both in order to finish this book if I were at home.

This book is about secrets and the the effects that these secrets can have.  The author introduces 4 women and as the book progresses we find out how the secrets they have impacted each other, in positive and negatives ways.  And while their secrets have impacted others, the author does an amazing job of showing the reader how the secrets have haunted the secret holders themselves. I really don't want to reveal any of the plot so if you want to know more, head over to Goodreads and read the blurb about it.  

There are some pretty sensitive subjects in this book. I can think of a couple of people that I don't think should ever read it, it would just be too difficult.  I was reading this book on the plane with two of my co-workers I don't know if they thought it was funny or irritating because there were at least 4-5 times that I literally had to put the book down after gasping because I could not believe what was happening.  I was lucky at one point because they were both sleep as I had tears rolling down my face.  It was simply amazing. I finished it and just handed it straight to my boss without any words and then just sat there for the last 30 minutes of my flight. I wish that Goodreads had a way for me to rate it higher than a 5 so I didn't feel like I should go back and rate all the 5's I already have down to 4's just to make it clear how much this book stands apart.


No comments:

Post a Comment