Wednesday, December 28, 2011

gloss: to provide a gloss for: define or explain

I was always told that you could never use the word when trying to define it, but I have to tell you that I have come across more examples of that then I expected when searching for new words.  I have used the word gloss before, but not in the way it was defined in the word of the day on http://www.merriam-webster.com/word-of-the-day/.  Here is was defined as a verb that meant to explain or define something...ok, seriously this might be getting a little ridiculous.  It feels a little like Inception.

Anyway,  I don't really have a reason for choosing this word over another.  It was the word of the day and I thought it was interesting that I have used this word many different times, but was unaware that it had a completely different meaning.  Now, I know...and so do you.  There are some examples of how it was used at the link above if you are interested.  I don't have any more time to gloss it for you.

Ha...see how I did that....ok...I am going to go and get some sleep.

1 comment: