Saturday, December 24, 2011

mercurial: characterized by rapid and unpredictable changeableness of mood

I am sure it is the combination of being sick and the excitement of Christmas and all that goes with that, but Taelin's mood the last few days has been so mercurial that I am finding it a tad exhausting.

For the most part, she has been her happy, sing-through-the-day self.  Her epic meltdown at Fred Meyer's, the cause of which I can't even remember anymore, surely had more than one stranger questioning my parenting skills.  Her stalling tactics when not wanting to do whatever it is that we want her to do are becoming quite elaborate. Her insistence of "doing it myself" frustrates my need to hurry when we are running late.

I do have to say, for the record, that these last week since I have been off has been a lot of fun (for the most part).  We have baked cookies, visited Santa, played games, sang songs, and read Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer over and over.  We have danced, went shopping, wrapped presents and have redecorated the tree several times.  Her imagination is taking off lately and we have run from crocodiles, had a couple of picnics and several well attended tea parties.

I suppose it is all part of exerting her independence and in it's own way is kind of cute.  (Except the Fred Meyer's thing...there was nothing cute about that.)  We all have our moments, good and bad, but I think the thing that has me a bit baffled at times is the recovery time for her.  She can go from happy, to freaking-out-frustrated, and back to happy in a matter of minutes.  I, on the other hand, have not learned the recovery skills needed to keep up with her.  I guess that it my problem, not really hers, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment