Monday, December 19, 2011

The Nutcracker

For some reason, still unknown to me, I have wanted to see The Nutcracker since I was a little girl.  I must have seen something during the Macy's Day Thanksgiving parade one year or maybe it just seeps into your being when you wear ballet slippers.  Whatever it was, I have wanted to go for years.  I think one year I may have hinted to Joe that I would like it for a Christmas present but now that I know him better it was kind of foolish for me to think that he would purposefully go to the ballet with me. If I would have outright asked him he would've gone, but that's not what I did.

Well, this year is the year that I finally made it!  A dear friend agreed to go with me and we went to an afternoon performance.  We had a great time out at lunch first and then I got lost in downtown Portland trying to find a parking spot.  Once I figured out where I was going, we got to the auditorium and found our seats.  I purposefully chose a performance with a live orchestra.  I have to say that my heart was a little homesick as a heard the instruments warming up. (maybe something to do with my clarinet needs to go on my next 101 list...)

The performance was absolutely wonderful.  I think my favorite scene was the one right before intermission.  The effect of the snow on the the floor as the dancers performed...it was amazing.

It was over before I knew it.  There were quite a few families there and lots of little girls in Christmas dresses.  I am going to have to restraint myself to not take Taelin earlier than she would appreciate it; she is certainly too young right now.  But next year?  Maybe....

No comments:

Post a Comment