Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Curfew by Jesse Ball

I started and finished this book rather quickly.  It helped that it was only 195 pages, but I really attribute to the quick read to the absolute need to find out what happened.

It is hard to even really be able to describe the style of this book except to say that is it wonderfully odd.  It is very much character driven, which I love but it isn't like some of the books that Joe loves that practically need a spreadsheet in order to keep track of who is who.

The store follows a father and his mute daughter that are trying to fly under the radar in a police state that is never really fully explained.  There is a curfew (hence the title) is strict and the father is a given a reason to break that is hard to resist.  The story follows the father and his daughter in a quite peculiar way.  I can't really say anymore without giving the story away.

I became very connected to the characters in the book, especially considering I didn't have much time.  Even though I have finished the book days ago, I have thought of the each of the characters every day wondering what kind of choices I might have been given the same circumstances.  It is such a strange world they live in yet with the relationships so familiar it is impossible to wonder what I would do.

Jesse Ball has written two books before this one and they are definitely going on my to-read list on Goodreads.

Next up....
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

No comments:

Post a Comment