Saturday, January 14, 2012

Golden Chicken with Tomatoes and Olives

I was really on a roll the other night.  I actually made two different recipes from my Pinterest board.  It is kind of running joke among some of just more addicted Pinterest folk that we "pin" way more than we would actually ever do.  I think in some cases the things I pin aren't necessarily something I am going to do anytime soon...but the recipe board I have is a different story.  I have so many recipes pinned that I could easily finish the 18 I have left of my 50.

I found this one and was really excited for two main reasons.  First, I am always looking for new chicken recipes.  We eat mostly boneless, skinless chicken breast (mostly because of Weight Watchers but also because Joe doesn't like picking fat off his meat) and the same ole, same ole gets a little boring.  Second, Joe loves green olives.  I mean, really loves green olives.  This recipe had both so it was a shoe in for trying out.

Golden Chicken with Tomatoes and Olives


Ingredients
4 teaspoons olive oil
16 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast (cut into 2 1/2 inch pieces)
kosher salt
black pepper
1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup large pimiento-stuffed olives, quartered
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 olive juice
3/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped

Directions
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
3. Add the onion to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 6 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes, olives, and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
5. Return the chicken to the skillet and add the chicken broth and olive juice.
6. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has slightly thickened, 4 to 6 minutes.
7. Stir in the parsley.

I changed this recipe a little from the original one that I found.  The original (that is linked above) used  3/4 cup of white wine.  I don't like white wine and I am certainly not going to add points to a recipe when it is something I don't like.  I decided instead to add fat free chicken broth and the olive juice for a little added flavor.  I also used less olive oil and less onion than the original recipe.  The original recipe was also served with rice, but to me this recipe was just screaming for pasta...so that's what I did.  Next I will use angel hair and that will soak up some of the sauce really well.  It was definitely a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment