Monday, January 9, 2012

Homemade Noodles

One of my favorite things this time of year is soup.  I usually make homemade soup after either having roasted chicken or a pot roast because it is a good way to use leftovers.  The best thing about making soup from leftovers is that I usually make a pot that is way too big for one meal and then I have leftover soup!

The problem with leftover soup, if there can actually be a problem, is with the noodles.  Using store brought noodles works fine for the first night of the soup, but the next day the noodles have soaked up too much broth and just kind of fall apart.  Egg noodles work a little better but I don't like the taste as much.  Recently Joe said that maybe thicker noodles would hold up a little better.

I looked for thicker noodles at the grocery store, but honestly they were a lot more expensive and I just couldn't spend the money on them.  It was then that I decided that maybe I should try my hand at making my own noodles.  I have seen many different examples around different blogs of people trying this and I thought I would give it a chance.  There were quite a few recipes out there and I just picked the one that had the least amount of fat.  I also used a less salt because I knew that there would be salt in the soup and that Joe would salt the soup anyway.

Ingredients
1 cup of flour plus extra for rolling out
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 egg
2 1/2 Tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon olive oil

Directions
1. Mix the flour and sea salt in a bowl.  Make a little well in the bottom of the bowl.
2. Beat the egg in a separate bowl and then add to the well.  Then add the water and oil.
3. Mix the ingredients together until they are mostly combined.  Turn over onto a well-floured surface and knead until it forms a nice ball of dough.
4. Flour a rolling pin and roll out the dough until you reach the thickness.  I had to flip the dough a couple of time and this step took me a little longer than I expected.
5. Once it is rolled to the thickness you want, use a pizza cutter to cut into strips and then into the length you want.
6. I added them to my pot of soup at this point and let them cook for at least 15 minutes.  I guess you can let them dry and then store them, but I used them right away.

Let me just say...they were amazing!  Joe, who barely puts up with soup for dinner, actually went back for seconds.  And, I had a bowl of soup for lunch today and they were just as good!  YAY!  This recipe is definitely going to be a keeper!  Yummy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment