Monday, January 9, 2012

Herbed Rice Pilaf

I like flavored rice.  You know, the kind that comes in a box that is really easy to make...and loaded with sodium.  Yeah, that kind.  I stopped buying that kind awhile ago but miss having flavor sometimes.  So, I have been looking for recipes that might help me out with my flavorful rice.

I found a couple landed on this one from www.allrecipes.com.  I decreased the butter by half and doubled the onions, but other than that made the recipe as written.  I also used fat-free chicken broth.


Ingredients
2 cups uncooked long grain rice
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
2 Tablespoons cup butter or margarine
4 cups fat-free chicken broth
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme

Directions
1. In a skillet, saute rice, celery and onion in butter until the rice is lightly browned and the vegetables are tender. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. casserole.
2.  Combine all remaining ingredients; pour over rice mixture. Cover and bake at 325 degrees F for 50 minutes or until the rice is done.

It smelled like dressing and had the flavor of dressing, probably because of the thyme.  Joe, who likes his rice flavored with soy sauce, flavored this rice with soy sauce too.  I think next time I will leave the thyme out and add a different spice.  It was good and I would eat it again, but I didn't love it and will keep trying. I guess if it something tastes like dressing, I want it to actually be dressing.  The process of making this rice could easily be done again with other vegetables and spices which makes me excited for the possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment