Friday, June 15, 2012

Garden Update 6/15/12

It just occurred to me that you might be getting bored with my garden updates.  If that is the case, I am sorry...my guess is that you are just going to have to a) skip reading them altogether or b) continue to read them and be bored.  How's that compassion for ya?

This past Wednesday I was out watering and weeding after Taelin had gone to bed.  I got to the radishes and sighed.  I don't know if my memory is bad or if fresh garden radishes are really spicier than store bought radishes. I do know that the ones I had were spicy...really spicy...so spicy that I picked them out of the salad I had made the night before.  As I looked at the HUGE leaves on the radishes that were bumping into my peas and my peppers, I made a rather rash decision.  I pulled them all up.

I save the ones that were ready to eat but the rest I just pulled.



Hopefully, my peas will not feel so crowded and my peppers might have a chance to grow away from the tomatoes a little.  I *may* have planted too much for my little boxes.  

My spinach also needed to be harvested so I just took a scissor to it and trimmed it all down.  I washed it up, spun it in my new salad spinner and packed it up for the fridge.  Here is what is already looks like only two days later....  

I don't think I am going to have a spinach growth problem.  I may have spent an hour or so looking for new spinach salad recipes on Pinterest and Allrecipes.  (I made one today with strawberries, low fat feta, almonds and fat free balsamic vinaigrette.  It was very yummy!)

We are expecting a sunny weekend here so there is probably more spinach (and a first big lettuce harvest) in the near future!


No comments:

Post a Comment