Wednesday, June 20, 2012

You learn something every day if you pay attention. ~Ray LeBlond

The other night I found myself needing to power through and finish up a project.  I tend to like to have a movie or t.v show running in the background but most of my favorites just weren't sounding good.  I logged onto Netflix to see if their was something in the instant queue that would interest me and I found a documentary that I had added awhile ago.  Since nothing else sounded good and I haven't watched but one of the ten documentaries I set out to watch, I hit play.  And then after that one, I watched another...and then another.  (It was a big project.)

All three were very different in topic but all had the same kind of effect on me.  They challenged my own thinking and opened my eyes to a different way of reflecting on my own beliefs.  Needless to say, I have added quite a few more documentaries to the queue for the next time I am feeling undecided about what to watch.

  This documentary was the one that was originally on my list.  At the beginning of the movie, there is a lot of talk around what scripture in Bible is used by some conservative groups and how it has been interpreted to fuel fear and hatred towards many different groups of people...in this case, homosexuals.  The rest of the movie follows five families as their religious beliefs and having a gay or lesbian family member collide.
  The stories were varied, from total rejection to understanding and support.  It was hard to hear some of the stories...there were a couple of times that I just couldn't believe the hateful words that were coming from parent mouths about their child. All in the name of their faith.  It just seemed insane to me.  I know other people don't agree..that is crystal clear after seeing this film. I am far from considering myself Christian, but I know many people do.  What I could appreciate in this film, was how families reexamined their faith and realized that they was room for understanding and compassion for all people, regardless of who they love. Definitely a must see.
 This film dug into the nightmare of credit credits, home ownership and personal debt.  It shows clearly how lenders and corporations have targeted and taken advantage of people, specifically low-income families and the youth and then how our government turns a blind eye or even makes it easier.
  Personal stories are also shared in this film, all of them heartbreaking.  "Keeping up with the Jones" is a phrase that came to mind.  Many people spent money they didn't have without a real plan of how they were going to pay for it later.  I, personally, can't remember a time where anyone sat down and taught me about money management (other than the time I got yelled at by my mom for bouncing a check when I was 15).
  Other than being disgusted with some of the practices of the lenders and the role of the government in those practices, my biggest take away was that Joe and I really need to think about how we are going to teach Taelin how to be financially literacy.  We have talked about it before a little bit and Taelin is just started to "notice" money.  It is on my list of "things to occupy our 11 hour car ride to Montana".

 Out of the three films, this was my least favorite.  I still enjoyed it and honestly out of the three it is the one that I should probably watch a few more times.  The film shares information on how forgiveness has played a part in personal and community healing.  9/11, the Amish school shooting, survivors of the Holocaust, and family tragedies are just some of the stories that are explored.  There was some talk about how different faiths play a role in forgiveness but it wasn't centered around one certain religion.
  The film explores how forgiveness can reduce anger and help the grieving heal.  So much easier said than done...and they acknowledge that.
  Even as I sit here typing, I realize that I do need to watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment