Friday, June 1, 2012

haimish: homey; cozy and unpretentious

I was visiting with a friend today about how crazy the next few weeks seem to be gearing up to be. I don't think there is an hour that is unspoken for this weekend between hair appointments, gymnastic programs, yard work, and family and friend parties.  I am looking forward to it all, even the yard work, but I know that I am going to get to Sunday night and say, "Where did that weekend go?"

Next week I have my last appointments with my teachers for the year.  They have all worked so incredibly hard this year, many of them in tough situations for one reason or another.  My hope for next week is that we can slow down, for even just a moment, and think about how hard they worked and celebrate all they have done.

Next Thursday, Joe and I are hosting the end of the year BBQ for my co-workers.  I would like to say that I was just being kind by opening up our home to guests for a party, but I had a huge ulterior motive.  Joe and I have been talking about different things we want to do to the yard for years...literally over the span of multiple years.  Neither of us are huge yard people, so every year summer turns into fall and then into winter and it doesn't ever get done.  For some reason this year, I am determined take care of some of the things we have been talking about...and preparing for a party is a good reason to get it all down.

But more than the outside of the house, I want to work on the inside of the house a little too.  We obviously have a new kitchen/dining room/family room which has been great but there are still areas that could be worked on.  My home going up was not a place where we had many pictures hanging up or a lot of home decor.  It was always clean, even if it was a little cluttered, but I always wanted things to have a little more personality and be a little more haimish in my own home.  It doesn't really take a lot of time, but it does take the intentional thought of doing something.

So, every chance I get, I force myself into a situation where I am going to have analyze our surroundings and find places to turn the house into more of a home.  I don't always feel like I have an eye for it but I am trying to get better.  I suppose it is one of those things that doesn't ever really get finished but more of a work in progress.


The home should be the treasure chest of living. ~Le Corbusier

1 comment:

  1. Sean wanted to name our first-born Hamish. Slightly different spelling, of course. He was referencing the loud, redheaded friend in Braveheart. I think I like your definition better (and much prefer the name Finn...)

    ReplyDelete