Monday, July 9, 2012

Bok Choy Slaw

In our CSA box last week there was a head of bok choy.  I had NO idea what I was going to do with it.  Bok choy is the veggie that I pick out of my favorite dish at Marco Polo, an amazing restaurant here is Salem. In general cooked greens aren't our favorite and that is being fairly generous.  Spinach is a pretty example.  Love raw spinach; would go hungry if it is cooked.

So, after my failed kale chips, I realized that I probably needed to change my plan for doing a stir-fry bok choy.  Back to Pinterest I went (I realize I might have a problem!) and found a recipe for a bok choy slaw that wasn't too bad.  I used my salad spinner for the 3rd time today and made the slaw to go with BBQ pork chops and grilled potatoes.


Ingredients
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
6 cups very thinly sliced bok choy
2 medium carrots, shredded
2 green onions, thinly sliced

Directions
1. Whisk vinegar, oil, and mustard in a large bowl.
2. Add bok choy, carrots and scallions; toss to coat with the dressing.

Overall the slaw was ok.  The sesame oil was WAY too strong.  I like the taste but there was too much.  Joe doesn't really like sesame oil at all so it was kind of a fail for being able to eat leftovers.  But, if I end up with another head of bok choy again, I think I would try making it again but use the dressing from the cabbage salad; basically switch out the sesame oil for soy sauce.


****And with this recipe I have officially finished #19 on my list of trying 50 new recipes!  I will continue to try new recipes but will probably just share the recipes that end up being ones that we really like.

No comments:

Post a Comment