Thursday, July 5, 2012

Simplify...#3 and #4

At the beginning of the 2012, I set out to tackle a couple of ways to simplify my life.  I want to find 10 in all, but I don't think it is simplifying things much if you do a whole bunch of things at once....just saying.   If you want to read it again you can go here but the basic idea was that I had two things I was going to do.  First, I wanted to get into the routine of using a cleaning checklist so our house (and my brain isn't so cluttered) and second, I wanted to start using a home binder to keep track of all the paper that trickles in our house.

For the most part, those things have been going well, although I could be a bit better about following the checklist.  I haven't been very good the last couple of weeks, mostly because we have been gone, but for the most part it helps me realize what I can reasonably get done in one day and let's me be "finished" at some point.  The binder is working out fabulously and I can't imagine how I could ever go without it now.  I am sure that it could be more organized, but it doesn't take me long to find something because it is all in one spot!

That brings me to number 3, which I started a few months ago.  Since I did need to keep my eye out for other ways to simplify my life, I realized that a board I have on Pinterest was screaming one at me.  Wrapping paper, gift bags, tissue paper, and ribbons can take over a huge area and had taken over a couple of areas in my house.  I decided to get rid of some of the more ratty looking bags and organize them in under the bed containers.  Now I have one container with gift bags and tissue paper and another container with just wrapping paper.  Wrapping paper is a whole other problem itself. I have decided to let go of needing the exact paper for the exact occasion.  Now I have several different solid color papers and a brown craft paper that can be dressed with different colored ribbons or have a cute tag added to fit the season or occasion.  I am not going to have half used Dora the Explorer gift wrap or Nifty over Fifty gift wrap anymore.  It is going to be simple.  A nice solid color with a tag/ribbon.  Aaahhh....how freeing that is!

And number 4, which has just been decided on this morning and has resulted in a trunk full of things.  Life will be simpler without a lot of things.  So, I am going get rid of things.  Do I really need my leotard from my dance recital when I was 10?  What about those toys that I keep organizing for Taelin that she never plays with?  Those clothes that have been on the same hanger for months? Book that I have read once but won't ever again?  I am either throwing stuff out or giving it away.  I am not getting rid of all my things...don't worry everyone, no intervention needed!  Just a some thing to declutter my house...and therefore my life!


No comments:

Post a Comment