Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Garden Update 7-17-12

I realized while I was out working in the yard, that it has been a little while since I have updated you all on my garden.  It is something I am actually looking forward to checking on everyday and while we haven't eaten much, it is only a matter of time!  

These three Better Boy tomatoes plants are out of freakin' control!
I hacked about half of two of them back and they are still just taking over!
You can see the last of the peas in the lower left corner.
One of the two plants was a complete buffet for the slugs and the other is
barely hanging on. It hasn't produced more than a couple
of peas a day and I usually have them eaten before I get inside.

Some cherry tomatoes...not my favorite but Joe really likes them,
which is good because there are a lot of them.

Four baby Roma tomatoes!  I am most excited about these tomatoes because I
see homemade spaghetti sauce and stewed tomatoes for black bean chili in my future!

The pepper plants are getting squished by the Roma
tomatoes, but are holding their own with them help of me
 and my scissors which has hacked quite a few stems.

One of many Better Boys

Green beans!  I am SO excited about these!
My sister and I looked at them today and are thinking we
might actually get enough to serve with dinner tomorrow night!

These are the strawberries that we saved and they are growing like crazy.
 Technically strawberry season is over, but if you squint you
will see a few green strawberries on the bottom of the picture.

The new addition to my food growing venture!  Raspberry bushes!
Lowes had these on clearance for 75% off
which made them 2 bucks a bush...I couldn't pass it up!  

I am feeling good about things so far.  I did lose all the lettuce but still have one row of spinach that is hanging on.  The carrots that I have thinned out are actually turning orange and taste like carrots but are still pretty tiny.  

I did have the tomatoes all in cages, but the Better Boys have outgrown them. It was when I was at Lowes picking up bigger stakes for them that I stumbled onto the great clearance plants.  In addition to the raspberries, I picked up some perennials that were dirt cheap and am going to try and nurse them back to health.  I know technically they aren't the "garden" but they are outside and I like them!

I bought a white clematis for $3.00 and then a cool trellis for it...that was more than
 $3.00.  You can barely see but there is one lupine on the left and two on the right.
They were pretty beat up, but I figured for $1.25 a piece it was worth a shot.


For the rest I took a page out of my mother-in-law's book
 and just planted in pots.  I couldn't decide where I wanted to
put what and there were pots on sale.  Taelin also joined in
on the fun and picked out the pink (big surprise) petunias
and the purple flowers on the right.
They are just clustered on the deck for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment