Monday, July 2, 2012

Lemon Garlic Marinade (with a kick!)

Quite some time ago, we used to get together with some friends fairly regularly.  Life and kids put some distance in between the times we are able to get together now, but it is still a lot of fun when we do.  We shared many meals over the years, but none was quite so loved as the Devil's Chicken Kabobs.  They were so spicy that I had to take a Zantac beforehand and knew I had to be within a close distance of a bathroom for all the water I ended up drinking.  It was lemon-y, garlic-y and burn your lips off good.  

It has been some time since we have had that and I saw something on Pinterest that reminded me of that dish.  I decided to try to recreate the marinade but tone down the spiciness quite a bit.  I get heartburn far more easily than I did before I had Taelin and I wanted Taelin to be able to eat it.  I didn't do the kabobs because honestly they are a lot of work and I knew I had a lot of work to do around the house and the last thing I was going to want to do was make kabobs.  

Ingredients:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 lemon, zest and juice
3 cloves of garlic, minced 
1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, crushed
3 teaspoons of olive oil


Directions:
1. Combine in a baggie the lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, red pepper flakes and olive oil.  Mix well.
2.  Add the chicken and roll it around in the bag until it is well covered with the garlic and lemon zest. 
3.  Leave in marinade until ready to grill! (I made this mid-morning and grilled it around 6:30 and it had great flavor.)

It wasn't nearly as spicy, but I actually preferred it that way.  Both Joe and Taelin liked it (after a minor strike of "I don't like chicken" by Taelin) and it will be a great addition to the chicken rotation! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment